Skip to content

Permanent Absentee Ballots

Town of Canton >> Departments >> Registrar of Voters >> Permanent Absentee Ballots

UPDATED - Key Points regarding Revaluation & Phase In Information - CLICK HERE 


Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

FEMA Flood Map Changes/Appeal Process (2/28/24-5/28/24)

Permanent Absentee Ballots

This ballot is available for people with long-term illnesses and/or disabilities who are unable, for reason of their illness, to appear at the polls in person. To apply for a permanent absentee ballot, the voter submits to the Town Clerk a standard absentee ballot application, accompanied by a note from the voter’s physician. The note, on physician letterhead, states that, because of a disability or long-term illness, the voter is unable to appear in person at the polls. The note does not need to include exhaustive diagnostic information. Once the Town Clerk receives the application and medical note, you will have attained Permanent Absentee Ballot status.  At that point, the voter will receive absentee ballots for each election or primary for which the voter is eligible to vote during one year. The ballots will be sent on the first day that absentee ballots become available for each event.  This status, once attained, remains with the voter until they are removed from the permanent absentee ballot list according to the process outline below or are removed from the town's official registry list, or they request not to receive a ballot in the future.
To be eligible for permanent absentee ballot status, you must file an absentee ballot application  together with a doctor's letter (on the physician's letterhead) stating that you have a permanent disability or long-term illness and are unable to appear in person at your polling place. Mail these two documents to:

Canton Town Clerk 
PO Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022

Annual notice to determine eligibility
Once you have attained permanent absentee ballot status, the registrars of voters will send you an annual written notice each January to determine if you continue to reside at the address on your permanent absentee ballot application.  In response to this letter, the registrars of voters will do one of three things:

1. remove you from permanent absentee ballot status if you do not return the notice within 60 days or if the notice is returned as undeliverable;

2. remove you from the official registry list and send you a voter registration application if you have moved out of town;

3. leave you on the permanent absentee ballot status and change your address if you indicate that you have moved within Town.

Please contact the Town Clerk at 860-693-7870 if you have any questions.