Skip to content

Dyer Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery Road

Files & Documents >> Visitor Documents >> Driving Tours (text) >> Dyer Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery Road

UPDATED - Key Points regarding Revaluation & Phase In Information - CLICK HERE 

 

Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

FEMA Flood Map Changes/Appeal Process (2/28/24-5/28/24)


Dyer Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery Road
  

Next  Canton Village List

This is the oldest cemetery in Canton and was originally known as “Old South Burying Ground,” a gift from Joseph Wilcox, of West Simsbury. The first burial (Tryphene Barber) was in 1752. Eighteen soldiers were buried here in 1777. The British General John Burgoyne, after his surrender at Saratoga, camped on the meadows near the Farmington River, where these soldiers were buried. By 1829 these skeletons were uncovered. In 1810, Daniel Dyer bought the property and it became Dyer Cemetery.