Skip to content

137 Main Street

Files & Documents >> Visitor Documents >> Walking Tours (text) >> 137 Main Street

UPDATED - Key Points regarding Revaluation & Phase In Information - CLICK HERE 


Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

FEMA Flood Map Changes/Appeal Process (2/28/24-5/28/24)


Next  Red Tour List

This house is a fine example of the Queen Anne style which flourished around the turn of the twentieth century. It is asymmetrical with a broad, curving veranda-like porch, oval windows, large eaves, steep gables, and an imposing entrance. It was built in the late nineteenth century by Jasper Bidwell, Canton's first Civil War volunteer.  In the mid twentieth century it was home and office to Dr. George W. Eddy. The house across the street was built before 1869 and was once the home of James Spencer, the blind organist at the Congregational Church.  His gravestone in the Village Cemetery bears the inscription "Thine Eyes Have Seen the Glory."