Skip to content

Elmshade, 188 Albany Turnpike

Files & Documents >> Visitor Documents >> Driving Tours (text) >> Elmshade, 188 Albany Turnpike

Congratulations to the Canton Police Department for receiving the 2024 CIRMA Excellence in Risk Management Award.

Click HERE for video. 

 

Click here for the 2024 Town Budget Meeting Schedule

 

Elmshade, 188 Albany Turnpike
  

Next  Canton Village List

Used as an inn in stagecoach days, this house was built in 1784 by Nathaniel Alford.  The Nickname Elmshade was given for its proximity to one of the largest elm trees in the nation that stood nearby on the Canton Green before succumbing to Dutch elm disease in the middle of the twentieth century.  The building has been a Masonic meeting spot, a summer home, an antique shop, a kite store and is now a bank.  A plaque beside the door leading from the parking lot briefly describes Elmshade’s history.