Checklist for pool safety:
- Never swim alone. Use the buddy system and maintain eye contact.
- Never leave children (even those who can swim) unattended in, around or near pools – not even for a few moments.
- Keep the pool area locked and secure when not in use.
- Swim only in supervised and approved areas.
- Keep rescue equipment near the pool. Have emergency flotation devices and a phone near the pool.
- Enroll children in swim lessons.
- Enforce water safety rules. No running, pushing or dunking.
- Never falsely claim to need help in the water.
- Take all toys out of the pool when not swimming so that children will not be tempted to go after the toys.
- Learn CPR and water rescue techniques.
- Have a professional inspect all entrapment hazards in the pool, including the pump and drain.
- Know and mark the location of the electrical cut-off switch for the pool pump.
Watch children closely!