Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022


Click Here for Directions

Dyer Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery Road

    

This is the oldest cemetery in Canton and was originally known as “Old South Burying Ground,” a gift from Joseph Wilcox, of West Simsbury. The first burial (Tryphene Barber) was in 1752. Eighteen soldiers were buried here in 1777. The British General John Burgoyne, after his surrender at Saratoga, camped on the meadows near the Farmington River, where these soldiers were buried. By 1829 these skeletons were uncovered. In 1810, Daniel Dyer bought the property and it became Dyer Cemetery.