Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022


Click Here for Directions

Solomon Everest house site, 111 Albany Turnpike

    

Now the location of a pharmacy and medical arts building at the corner of Lawton Road and Albany Turnpike, this was the site of the Solomon Everest house built in 1796. In later years it was known as the Mills/Lane house. It was a large Georgian colonial with twelve-over-twelve double hung windows. Dr. Everest (1760-1822) served in the Revolution as a surgeon and practiced medicine on this site for almost 30 years. He is considered the "Father of Canton" since his name was first on the petition to the General Assembly in 1806 asking to create the Town of Canton. The house was dismantled and removed in 2002.  Just inside the UConn Health building entrance is a plaque honoring the memory of Dr. Everest and his contribution to medicine and the town of Canton.