Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022


Click Here for Directions

Elmshade, 188 Albany Turnpike

       

Used as an inn in stagecoach days, this house was built in 1784 by Nathaniel Alford. The Nickname Elmshade was given for its proximity to one of the largest elm trees in the nation that stood nearby on the Canton Green before succumbing to Dutch elm disease in the middle of the twentieth century. The building has been a Masonic meeting spot, a summer home, an antique shop, a kite store and is now a bank. A plaque beside the door leading from the parking lot briefly describes Elmshade’s history.