Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022


Click Here for Directions

FARMINGTON RIVER BRIDGE 


The current concrete decked bridge is the fourth structure to span this site. It was erected in 1956 following the flood of 1955 when the 1893 steel truss bridge with arched girders was washed out. Immediately after the flood, a 260 foot temporary Bailey bridge was put in place. The first span over the river was built in 1831 by the Collins Company to allow construction of houses near the factory. The town was later deeded the bridge for free. It was rebuilt in 1838 by the town after two men fell through the deck and one was drowned. In 1849, a wooden covered bridge with a pedestrian walkway was erected and served until the steel bridge replaced it.