Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022


Click Here for Directions

THE GREEN

        

  The Green is believed to have been laid out under the direction of Samuel Collins just before 1836 when the Congregational Church was built, and in the 1840’s when the homes along The Green were constructed. In the 19th century, it had more of a town green appearance, having been designed as a rectangular greensward with a crossed path in the shape of an X through the center for buggies and wagons. Pedestrian pathways existed where the sidewalks are today. Turn of the century photographs show picket fences and elm trees in front of the houses. Most of the stately homes on The Green were at one time occupied by executives of the Collins Company.

    6 The Green is Italianate in style and was once home to Charles Blair, a vice president of the Collins Company who dealt with John Brown when he came to order pikes for his raid on Harper’s Ferry. In the mid twentieth century it was a funeral home.

 

      4 The Green was built in 1847 and is Greek revival. The kitchen el, originally one story, had a sympathetic second story added in 1990. In 1869 it was occupied by S. V. Woodbridge who had a livery stable and was deputy sheriff. The Collins Company later bought it. It was sold in the early 1960s to John Meconkey, Collins’ purchasing manager, who had rented it from the company.

 

   2 The Green was built in the 1860’s by J. B. Dewey who kept a livery stable. A Palladian third story was added early in the twentieth century. The boxy addition along Main Street, once an apartment, was the office of Dr. Ralph Cox who bought the house in 1905.

 

   7 the Green was built by the Collins Company in the late 1800s for company president E. H. Sears and was occupied by his successor, William Hill, until 1921.

 

   5 The Green was renovated around 1860 with the addition of a “Second Empire” mansard roof. The original Greek revival entrance can be seen inside the front porch. Among its occupants have been 19th century grocer and dry goods storekeeper Julius Goodman; Collinsville Savings Society treasurer J. D. Andrews who bought it in 1880; and Guy Whitney, last plant engineer for the Collins Company.


   111 Main Street on the northwest corner of The Green, was built in 1841 by Frederic A. Barton, a civil engineer who was pastor of the Congregational Church between 1838 and 1843. In his first year or so as pastor, he tutored young Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of New York’s Central Park and father of American landscape architecture. It was later occupied by Dr. R. H. Tiffany. The building has lost some of its original Italianate detail under aluminum siding.