Individuals getting married in Connecticut must obtain their marriage license no more than 65 days before the wedding date. A license to be married must be obtained from the Town Clerk's office in the town in which the marriage is to take place.
To Obtain a Marriage License
- Are you getting married in Canton? Are you getting married within 65 days? If you answered "YES" to both of these questions, you need to obtain a marriage license at the Canton Town Clerk's office.
- Call the Town Clerk's office for an appointment (860-693-7870)
- Complete the Marriage License Worksheet and send it to the Town Clerk at least 1 business day in advance of your appointment
- Bring photo identification and $50 (cash/check/charge) to the appointment
- Although you don't have to appear at the same time, both the bride and groom must appear in person before the Town Clerk
- Need a Justice of the Peace? Click here.
After the Wedding...
- Once the marriage ceremony takes place, the marriage officiator will submit the license to the Canton Town Clerk/Registrar of Vital Records
- The license will remain on file in Canton as a permanent record
- The marriage license becomes a vital record and is then referred to as a Marriage Certificate
Certified copies of marriage certificates are available from the Town Clerk's office in the Town of Occurrence, in the Connecticut town of the Bride's residence and the Connecticut town of the Groom's residence.
To Obtain a Certified Marriage Record
- Complete the Marriage Certificate Request Form
- The fee is $20.00 per certified (raised seal) copy (cash/check/charge)
- With proof of identification, the bride or groom may obtain a complete certified copy which would contain their Social Security numbers. Persons other than the bride and groom may obtain a copy with the Social Security numbers redacted.
- If bride/groom photo ID is not available, originals or photocopies of two of the following documents may be used: Social Security card, written verification of ID from employer (on letterhead), automobile registration, copy of a utility bill showing name and address, checking account deposit slip stating name and address and voting card
- Present request or mail to the Town of Occurrence or Town of Residence (at the time of the marriage)
- Requests for certified copies may be made in person at the Town Clerk's office or mailed to: Canton Town Clerk, PO Box 168, 4 Market Street, Collinsville, CT 06022.
Civil Union Conversions to Marriage Licenses
In accordance with Connecticut General Statutues 46B-38rr, all Civil Unions converted to Marriages on October 1, 2010, except those that were dissolved, or had dissolution, annulment or legal separation proceedings pending on October 1, 2010.