Where to Find Us

Canton Town Hall Canton Town Hall

P.O. Box 168
4 Market Street
Collinsville, CT 06022

Click Here for Directions

Motor Vehicle Frequently Asked Questions

What period of time does my July Motor Vehicle bill cover?

Motor vehicle bills issued in July are for the time period of the previous October 1st through September 30th of that year.

I sold my car...what do I do?

If you took the license plate from this car and transfered it to another car - pay this bill and you will receive a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Bill in January for the new car showing a credit for the taxes paid on this car for the period that you did not own it.

If you canceled the registration and returned the license plate to the DMV - send the assessor's office a copy of the plate receipt that you received from DMV and the bill may be adjusted if the plate was returned prior to August 31st.

What is a Supplemental Motor Vehicle Bill?

These bills are for vehicles that were registered at the motor vehicle department after October 1st but before August 1st of the following year. (Presently after October 2, 2016 and August 1, 2017). Supplemental Motor Vehicle bills are sent out at the end of December and come due January 1st, you have up and including February 1st to pay without penalty.

What period of time does my Supplemental Motor Vehicle bill cover?

This bill represents ownership from the time you registered with the DMV to September 30th.

I canceled the registration on the car that I have a bill for and I returned the plates to the DMV - why do I have a bill?

First check to see if you canceled the registration before OR after the period the bill covers. If it was before the September 30th date, did you give a copy of the plate receipt that you received from the DMV to the Town Assessor? If you already have given a copy to the assessor this may be an adjusted bill already, please feel free to e-mail us to verify if it has been. If you haven't given a copy to the assessor, please do so and the Assessor will pro-rate the assessment and the tax office will send you an adjusted bill. 

I moved to another Town. Should I pay Canton taxes?

If you lived in Canton on October 1st, you owe the tax to Canton. If you moved before, you must produce proof of your new residency. If you purchased a home - a copy of your field card from your towns assessor's office, if you are renting - a copy of your lease with the date the lease begins or a copy of a utility bill dated prior to October 1st. Please send your proof to: Canton Assessor's Office, P.O. Box 168, Collinsville, CT 06022.

I moved out of state. Is this bill really due?

To possibly get an adjustment to this bill, please send the Assessor's office a copy of the registration(s) in your current state for each vehicle. If you registered in the new state after October 1st, there will be an amount remaining to pay. After the assessor makes any necessary changes we will send an adjusted bill out to you.

I need an adjustment made to my bill, will the time to pay this bill without penalty be extended?

No, you have 30 days to pay all bills from the due date. This should allow you enough time to get the necessary documents into the assessor and be notified of any changes made to the amount(s) due.

I never got a bill, why do I pay interest?

Maybe you did not update your address with the DMV or it was never changed at the post office. The law states, G.S. Section 12-130, "failure to receive a bill does not invalidate the tax."

Can I view and/or pay my motor vehicle taxes online?

Yes, click here to view and pay your motor vehicle taxes using your credit card or debit card. There will be a convenience fee assessed for this service. You will be asked to accept this fee prior to charging your account.

Can I view my payment history for taxes online?

Yes, click here to view your bills and payment history for income tax purposes. 

If you have received a tax bill from a town that you DID NOT RESIDE IN OR GARAGE YOUR VEHICLE IN as of October 1, 2016, contact the Tax Assessor to request a transfer to the Correct Town / City of residency as of October 1, 2016.