Town of Canton Land Use Department

Neil S. Pade, AICP  
Director of Planning and Community Development   (860) 693-7891

Roland R. Klee, AICP, CZEO 
Assistant Town Planner,
Zoning Enforcement Officer and Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Agent  (860) 693-7892
Lynn Charest
Land Use Coordinator (860) 693-7856


Plan of Conservation and Development



Approved Zoning Regulations (eff 5/12/14)


Approved Zoning Map (eff 5/12/14) 


Land Use Applications and Regulations

In order to view and print these regulations, you must have Adobe's Acrobat Reader, a free plug-in program for either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the icon below to download a free copy. Please note that this site is under construction and many links may not be active. The contents of this document are made available for the use of individuals and may not be copied in whole or in part for commercial purposes without the permission of the Town of Canton. The Town of Canton takes no legal responsibility for the information provided by this service nor for any loss or damage resulting from this information. For the most accurate and up to date information, please contact the appropriate Town staff person or refer to the original source document.


Pre-Application Form (used for Zoning, Planning (subdivision) and Inland Wetlands)
Application for Certification of Zoning Compliance

Zoning Regulations and Appendix

Zoning Regulations Model Signs

Zone or Map Amendment Application 

Zoning Application (Special Exception, Site Plan Approval or Site Plan Modification)

Zoning Checklist (for use with Zoning Application)

Zoning & Wetlands Complaint Form

Zoning Board of Appeals Application

Planning (Subdivision) Regulations

Planning/Subdivision Development Application

Subdivision Checklist

Planning/Subdivision Regulation Amendment Application

Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations - Sept 2011

Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Application for Permit
Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Authorized Agent Application
IWWA Application for Extension or Amendment to a Permit

IWWA Map Amendment Application

IWWA Application Fees

Land Use Application Fees

Standard Zoning Enforcement Procedure
Sign Permit Application

Aquifer Protection Regulations

Public Water Supply Watershed or Aquifer Area Project Notification Form

Consent for Extension of Statutory Time

Flood Plain Design Professional Certificate-Engineer

Floor Plain Design Professional Certificate-Architect

Flood Plain District Development Application 

Mobile Vendor Permit

Pre-Application Review

Request for Inclusion in Public Notice Registry

Site Plan Checklist

Zoning Permit Application

Temporary Business Sign Permit




Canton’s Land Use Office Creates Notice Registry

Canton’s Land Use Office is establishing a registry to enable land owners, electors and non-profit organizations to sign up to be notified of public hearings on applications for changes to the Plan of Conservation and Development, Subdivision Regulations, Zoning Regulations, and zoning district boundary changes, if the proposed changes are initiated by the Town or its commissions. However, the registry will not provide notice of any other applications or public hearings. During its last session, the General Assembly amended Section 8-7d(g) of the Connecticut General Statutes to require that all towns establish such a registry by October 1, 2006. A form has been developed by the Land Use Office that provides Town staff with the information necessary to properly contact landowners, electors and non-profit organizations. To be placed on the registry, non-profit organizations must be qualified as a tax-exempt organization under the provisions of Section 501 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, or any subsequent corresponding internal revenue code of the United States, as from time to time amended, and will have to provide proof of such recognition.

People may choose to be notified by regular mail or by e-mail. Once names are placed on the registry, they remain listed for three years. After three years, individuals and non-profit organizations must request to be placed on the registry again.

Forms are available at the Land Use Office, through written request or by clicking the link below. The Land Use Office is located on the second floor of Town Hall, at 4 Market Street, in Collinsville. The Land Use Office’s mailing address is Land Use Office, 4 Market Street, P. O. Box 168, Collinsville, CT 06022-0168.

Request for Inclusion in Public Notice Registry

For additional information, please contact the Land Use Office at (860) 693-7856 or visit the Land Use Office


Plan of Conservation and Development

Please click here to view the Plan of Conservation and Development. 



Agendas and minutes for Zoning, Zoning Rewrite, Planning, Inland Wetlands & Watercourses, Zoning Board of Appeals, Open Space Commission and Economic Development Agency can be viewed by going to the Agendas & Minutes link on the Home Page.

Regularly scheduled meeting dates  for the above commissions can be viewed by clicking on the following:  All Land Use 2013 Schedules.




If you would like to automatically receive e-mailed agendas for the Land Use boards and commissions, please sign up by clicking here.