YOUTH SERVICES BUREAU
click here for agendas and minutes
The YSB has the duty and responsibility to perform both administrative and direct service functions in accordance with state regulations that respond to the needs of youth who are or potentially could be in contact with the criminal justice system; youth without the support or protective environment necessary for normal development; youth who manifest behavior which is potentially detrimental to themselves; and the primary prevention needs in the community.
Effective September 2012, the following are the goals and procedures of the reorganization of the Canton Substance Abuse Council/ Community of Concern and the Canton Youth Services Bureau:
1. To strengthen the message to the town that both organizations are working together to keep our youth safe and drug-free.
2. Place the Canton Substance Abuse/Council Community of Concern programs under the existing Canton Youth Services Bureau, which is an existing town agency.
3. Maintain the Canton Community of Concern functions and partners as a resource for the community.
4. Create a financial framework that maintains both grant funds and donations in accounts that are earmarked specifically for substance-abuse.
5. Create accounts within an organization that has tax exempt status which may help promote future donations.
6. Create accounts that will satisfy town auditors and be subject to reasonable control and oversight.
7. Create a public presence through use of the town/school websites and other municipal resources, to promote the presence of Substance Abuse /Community of Concern programs.
8. Designate the Canton Youth Services Bureau as the local substance abuse counsel. This will allow them to apply for the CASAC Substance Abuse Prevention Grant that has been applied for by the COC. This should dovetail with YSB's charge of working with kids at risk and preventing substance abuse. The YSB would vote at regular meetings to determine where the funds should be spent and then the expenditures would be reported to CASAC and be part of the annual YSB budget.
9. The Canton Community of Concern as a separate entity will dissolve and the Community of Concern programs will become a function of the Canton Youth Services Bureau. The YSB will have a standard agenda item that will be designated as Community of Concern /Drug Prevention. The YSB will continue the charge of the COC by acquiring input from the Canton Schools, Canton Police and other town agencies prior to making decisions regarding CASAC and other drug prevention funds or donations which are used to address pro active drug and alcohol related school and community programs.
10. This reorganization will continue to allow the Canton Youth Services Bureau to apply for grants and receive donations that will provide counseling, programs and activities for our Canton youth.
11. The YSB portion of the town website will be updated to reflect the reorganization of the Canton Substance Abuse Council/ Community of Concern and Canton Youth Services Bureau. In addition there will be an ongoing update of programs and services that are being offered to the schools and to the town. There will also be a link to the school webpage.
Click here for YSB members and vacancies
Click here for YSB 2013 Meeting Dates